The Mansion of E
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frowgler's Identity

3 posters

Go down

Frowgler's Identity Empty Frowgler's Identity

Post by archangelm127 Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:50 am

I've worked on this over a few months, mostly to see whether my own theory held water. I'm honestly less sure than when I started, but I still think it's worth posting to see what people think.

***NOTE: All cited page numbers are per the URLs on the new site, not the actual strip numbers!!!***

It has been my considered fan-theory for some time that Frowgler is, in fact, Sylvester. To be precise, he is Sylvester come back in time from some point many years in the future. Here is a list I have compiled of points in favor of this theory ():

1. As far as I know, prescience (legit seeing the future) is not a thing in this world. Therefore, to know everything that Frowgler knows, it is logical to assume that he is from the future. It would also fit with his appearing 'out of nowhere' (#1770) just before things start Changing.
a. As support for the time-travel thesis (again, assuming that prescience is not possible), Frowgler does not just know facts (i.e. trivia), he knows a great deal about the future timeline. For instance, he notes that Skradt going off with Comshaw is "the start of a beautiful friendship." (#2832) While he might have been speculating, a la the famous last line of "Casablanca" in our world, his tone leads me to think that it's something he *knows*.
2. The whole Frowgler thing is a mask/disguise/something. Numerous people [Myrrh (#1007), the Nexus (#1553), the Flittermouse (#4987)] have made comments to this effect. He could just as easily be human as anything else. The disguise itself is obviously magical, but could just as easily be the use of some thaum-tech as actual magic. In other words, it doesn't follow that Frowgler is necessarily a wizwitch.
3. The crazy chain of custody involved in getting the HJ42 to various people at various points appears to have been set up and coordinated by Frowgler, with the aim of breaching the Barrier momentarily and allowing the Sneeches to escape.
a. The Sneeches left the Doohickey for Sylvester *personally,* as "payment for ye assistance." (#3062) I conjecture that it was Frowgler's assistance with breaching the Barrier, and escaping. (Presumably they went to Wirtvale, but who the zark knows.)
b. After Rosemary went back to the Quiet Room to read the Doohickey and other items the riot act, Frowgler showed up and told them "Yes, it's me. And you heard the lady." Implying that he was both recognized and in a position to be obeyed by one or more denizens of the Quiet Room. (#3588)
4. [This is the key point] The Gibber told Sylvester "you will return to where you started, and you will become that which you hate. And in so doing you will restore the world to what it was." (#1526) Not only would going back in time cover 'return to where you started' rather neatly, but Frowgler's whole deal seems to fit with Sylvester 'becoming that which he hates.'
a. The key question which could make or break the 'return to start' point of my thesis here is when Frowgler came back in time *to*. Which 'start'?
b. Syl seems to have quite a distaste for Alex Linderhoof's work generally. This is best exemplified in his conversation with the Great Riddler. (#1709) As a side note, Frowgler shares this distaste. (#1237)
c. As Syl told Rosemary just before leaving the Mansion on the morning of Day 3, he hates secrets and jerking people around. (#3975) Frowgler's been doing a lot of that.
d. Sylvester has stated that he hates animals. (#14) Not sure how serious he was.
5. Frowgler seems to have the same attitude towards his job (#800, #2467) that Syl has towards being Earl of E. (#4073) He's not really happy about it, but accepts it and is grimly determined to do it to the best of his ability.
6. Frowgler seems to have the same general attitude and sense of humor as Sylvester. That's not really evidence, it's just a strong impression on my part. It may well be simple confirmation bias.
a. Mortimer does compare Frowgler to both Syl and Rufus in terms of attitude and conversation style. (#2430)
7. Frowgler has a very clearly expressed disgust for Nevus. (#805) Given Syl's initial interactions with Nevus' minions on Day 2, and given that I can't see those two ever really coming to terms with each other (#1715), I consider this another suggestive fact.
8. Sylvester can make his words Creepy. (#57) Frowgler speaks in a Creepy voice for much of Day 2. (#798 onwards)
9. Frowgler possesses a great deal of E Family knowledge. (#1004 on) Given how much he knows about everything this doesn't mean much, but I don't think the details of Myrrh's arrival in the Wide World are known much beyond the family and the Grubbs. His attitude towards Philbert also seems consistent with Sylvester's views. (#1006)
a. I'm 99% sure that Frowgler's poke-kit belonged to the E Family. In Syl's words, this poke-kit "disappeared years ago" (#2253). This might give us a timeline as to how long Frowgler's been active. And yes, Frowgler could have just stolen it, but the fact that he knew where it was (if it's the same PK) is suggestive.
10. Frowgler seems to be in opposition to Digger somehow (#2465), and Digger seems to regard all humans as targets--for surveillance, and perhaps more. (Insufficient data about motives and history. Honestly, I'm not 100% convinced that Digger is a gnoll.)
a. Frowgler is at least on speaking terms with Digger, though. (#3044) Honestly, I'm not sure what to think about their relationship after binging the archive for this post.
11. It is just possible that the whole Frowgler persona is due to Sylvester (or whoever) possessing a Frowgler action figure. In #1708, Syl makes mention that "a while back Mortimer was saying something about one of his Roshambo 'action figures' being damaged, or some[thing]." It's possible that it "came to life" and is now hopping around. (If it was an actual action figure of Roshambo, it might have just 'gone missing' and wound up on Mr. Hand's desk.) The fact that Syl considers the matter so unimportant seems like foreshadowing to me in any case.

In the interest of fairness, here are the points that may tell against my theory:
1. Frowgler told the Flittermouse that he did not watch her unboxing, yet the flashback panel shows Sylvester being present (I think). (#4989) It's possible Frowgler meant that he wasn't there in his current guise, but that's a bit of a stretch. This is the single biggest point against Syl as a candidate, and it's a BIG point against him.
2. Frowgler himself states that "only Willygigs can freely flit through time." (#997) Sylvester also says as much. (#2647)
4. In reference to "pro" point 3A, the Doohickey could also be payment to the E Family as a whole. Sylvester himself speculates as much. (#4872)
3. Frowgler tells Myrrh during her 'flash-forward' that "one of [Quincy's] descendants, along with Frederick, will... assure that I am here to have this little conversation." (#1002) My guess is that he is referring to either Mortimer or Rufus, but he could well mean Sylvester himself. Zark, Lilith, Ace, and Lenore are also candidates in theory.

However, in the course of archive-binging to gather the page numbers cited herein, another decently strong candidate besides Syl and Rufus has presented himself: "Mr. Flip," the guy who Cully met in his flash-forward. (#3026) Evidence concerning him is extremely thin, but points in favor include:
1. He evidently Knows Things, and is obviously elderly at the future point. Not sure how long Frowgler's been active, but it fits the very loose timeline I can conjecture.
2. He seems to share Frowgler's opinion of gnolls in general as "annoying." (#798; #3033)
3. Both Frowgler and Mr. Flip have a habit of saying "Be seeing you" as a goodbye. (#3040 for Mr. Flip; I'm not archive-binging all over again just to find Frowgler examples.)
4. It's possible that Mr. Flip is a member of the E Family. I say this based on the dark glasses he wears (#3026), which could indicate the congenital condition that Griffington and Lenore suffer from. Or he could be blind, or just fashionable. Insufficient data.
a. He does not exhibit the strong jaw that seems to be characteristic of E Family men. (Indicentally, from what little we've seen of him on-panel, Mr. Hand *does* exhibit such a jaw...)
5. The graffiti near the basement entrance, "Beware Mr. Flip" has evidently been around since before Mortimer was born. (#3081) Therefore, it's logical to assume that Mr. Flip--whoever the zark he is--has also been around for at least that long.
So... what do the rest of you think? Who is most likely to be Frowgler? Sylvester, Rufus, Mr. Flip, someone else, or have we simply not yet seen Frowgler without his 'mask'? I'd love to hear what you all think.

archangelm127

Back to top Go down

Frowgler's Identity Empty Re: Frowgler's Identity

Post by whitehound Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:22 am

I haven't got time right now to think this through in detail, but just wanted to say, it's been established that Digger is a short Bogeyman.

whitehound

Back to top Go down

Post by archangelm127 Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:16 am

whitehound wrote:I haven't got time right now to think this through in detail, but just wanted to say, it's been established that Digger is a short Bogeyman.
Is this Word of God, or what? Makes sense, though.

archangelm127

Back to top Go down

Post by eman Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:34 am

Great points! I remember considering this a very long time ago, but I lost my notes before getting anywhere near this many. Sylvester is rather my favourite identity for Frowgler, except Against:1 rather demolishes it. Why would he lie to the Flittermouse on that point? Unless he considers the identity of Frowgler entirely separate to Sylvester. That's not the way I would see it, were I transformed into a horned frog, (*chuckles*) but some people seem to take this extreme viewpoint in starting a new life. But again, if Sylvester were to throw away that piece of knowledge, this would be inconsistent with retaining all the knowledge he needs to do his job.

Against:2 is also a strong challenge, but Frowgler did say "freely". But again, at that moment Myrrh herself wasn't freely flitting through time, she was yoinked by the HJ42 and had no idea she was going back until Frowgler said so. But a third time, (I'm getting into a whirlpool of buts here,) what are all of Protus's engineering works for except to do something major and unnatural to the stream of time? I suppose they could be for some other purpose, but the work's evidently been going on for years and twistpoints have increased in that time. Protus' works were large enough to have a sort of shape to those who experienced the Breach. Cully wasn't born at the time of the Breach but has since reached adulthood, so perhaps 3 or 4 years have passed.

I see no problems with any of the For points. I agree with 6 to the point that I don't see anyone else matching so closely, not even Rufus, although I do think Rufus is the second most likely candidate. I've got more to say about this, but I feel quite unwell when I sit and type, these days. Maybe another day.

Re. Mr. Flip:
"Be seeing you" is typically aristocratic. One time, I was walking in the woods near Arundel and struck up conversation with a dog walker. It wasn't until he said "Be seeing you" that I realized he was probably the Baron Duke or Earl who owned the wood. Wink

whitehound wrote:I haven't got time right now to think this through in detail, but just wanted to say, it's been established that Digger is a short Bogeyman.
Ooh, where was it established? I thought it was just my favourite theory. Or am I being too modest? I did collect and attempt to post all the evidence I could find for Digger's species, but it was years ago now. I remember ruling out Globule because his gloved hand was visible in his safe house, and I think his general attitude fits what we've seen of the more intelligent Boogeymen. His voice is probably altered by his metal mask, but his font does match Boogeymen. Were there any other points? I've forgotten. I see now what might be white face-fur at the pages displaying his hand.

eman

Back to top Go down

Post by archangelm127 Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:27 am

Thanks for the insight about "be seeing you," Eman. I didn't know it had aristocratic associations. Probably because I'm a Yank. ^_^

archangelm127

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum