The Mansion of E
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Computer Drawing Programs

2 posters

Go down

Computer Drawing Programs Empty Computer Drawing Programs

Post by Geoduck Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:02 am

I produce the MoE entirely on my computer; every bit of art you see on the site was done with a mouse and/or Wacom drawing tablet in a computer-drawing program. When I create a strip, I choose from various pre-made-by-me files which have multiple "layers" each set up to serve as images, border, text, bubbles, and so forth.

As I noted on the main comic page, with my new Windows 10 computer, I've had to switch to a new version of said program, Paint Shop Pro. Sadly, this means I'm moving from my vintage JASC-created copy to the one Corel puts out after they bought out the JASC folks. It's not as good, in particular it's much more cumbersome switching between "looking at/choosing files out of my directories" and "actually altering said files." There's also an annoying glitch involving the re-sizing of individual layers.

But it's better than anything else I've tried. Things I require:

1. The program needs to be able to do both raster and vector work, and supports layers.

2. It is fairly easy to create pre-made shapes, most specifically the lined and filled rectangles which make up my speech bubbles.

3. I actually own my copy of the thing, and I'm not "leasing" the right to use it for hundreds of dollars a year.

4. It lets me put my most-used functions on a couple of toolbars, and not in a cluttered collection of palettes.

5. I can make editing changes without constant use of the CTRL/SHIFT/ALT keys.

So.. as near as I can tell, that pretty much kills Photoshop, GIMP, and Paint.net. I recently tried Krita, and while not perfect it shows some promise. If anyone out there has other suggestions, let me know. And yes, I'm willing to pay a -reasonable- amount of money for something that works.
Geoduck
Geoduck
Admin

http://www.mansionofe.com

Back to top Go down

Computer Drawing Programs Empty Re: Computer Drawing Programs

Post by whitehound Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:39 pm

I use Presto!ImageFolio, but I don't think it does vector art.

whitehound

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum